Tuesday 8 January 2013

Family at War! Derby v Forest

I'm sure that our family isn't unique in having members who support both Derby and Forest.

Eleven days away from the East Midlands biggest game, the pre match banter has started already.

My brother in law is a Red that used to be a Ram! Incredible! But true! When Cloughie took over at the City Ground, Frank followed him. Deny it he might, but other members of the family are quick to remind him that one of his sons is named after Colin Todd and Roy McFarland.

His eldest son is a red and resides in Chaddesden! His youngest son lives just outside Nottingham and is a Ram. Imagine the reaction from their neighbours when being on the losing side. Obviously their kids have in turn followed in the footsteps of their fathers.

Various other members of the family are supporters of one side or the other. Not a Pie in sight!

Living in Lincoln I miss out on a lot of the pre game banter enjoyed by those living in the heart of the East Midlands. There are a few Rams and Reds living in this neck of the woods though. I often spot the stickers in the cars on my way to the game.

I think personally that we all can get over excited before the game and there are a minority of fans that do take the rivalry too far. However, I'm sure that if you look carefully down Derwent Parade on matchday, you will see the odd group or too with the colours of both sides amongst them. Whether they are family or friends it's good to see that a rivalry can be enjoyed without resorting to silliness.

Getting back to the family, I'm sure my Red nephew is praying for a Forest win due to us being victorious in the previous three encounters. I myself will not be satisfied until the 5-2 drubbing from a couple of seasons ago is finally laid to rest. The only way that will be properly avenged in my opinion will be a hefty Rams win.

Looking ahead to the game on the 19th, I think that it's the hardest to predict in years. Both sides are neck and neck in the Championship table and have leapfrogged each other many times so far this season. I hate predicting these games and I'm not going to predict this one.

All I have to say is COME ON YOU RAMS!


No comments:

Post a Comment