Wednesday 7 May 2014

Play Offs -Away from the Action

We have made for appearances in the championship play offs with mixed success.

When I look back to them games it always brings up a memory or too!

When our George Burley managed Rams met Preston in the end of season knockout for a place in the final, I couldn't make the away leg. I was working at Scunthorpe Speedway at the time and had to rely on watching the match in a local pub.

I did have tickets for the return at Pride Park, however that week we wee holidaying in Fleetwood, which is just up the road from Preston.

On the Monday of the holiday we actually visited Deepdale and saw the players in practice.

Back then, the National Footballl museum was also located at the ground. There's a great statue of Tom Finney outside too.

The home leg took place on the Wednesday night. Myself and my son Aron drove down from Fleetwood to Derby in the early afternoon. We got there about an hour before kick off.

The match itself is history, but our journey back up North was quite a laugh. Preston fans travelling back blowing the horns in their cars as they passed us on the journey back.

Billy v Burley part two in 2007 was memorable for something else other than the great result.

Just towards the end of the game the heavens opened and my walk back to the car with my son and daughter saw us all get soaked to the skin. We park near my nephews house in Chaddesdon. 

We all had to remove our jeans and ride home in our underwear whilst our clothes dried out on the car heaters. Fortunately I had a travel rug to spare the blushes of the son and daughter, however I hate to think what the police would have made of me driving home in my boxers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment