Saturday 25 April 2015

Colin Bloomfield

Today I didn't go to the away game at Millwall. Instead I decided to attend a charity fundraiser hosted by my sons team.

It was whilst watching a charity match that my wife messaged me to inform me that Colin Bloomfield had passed away earlier in the morning. 

Words cannot describe how people feel when they hear news like this. Unfortunately I didn't know Colin on a personal level, but he was the sort of person that you felt like you knew. 

The first I heard of Colin or Bloomers as he was nicknamed was when he took over BBC Radio Derby's matchday commentary from Ross Fletcher. He took over the duties and quickly adapted like he had been in the role for years. 

Giving a good description of the on field events and added a little excitement when the Rams were on an attack. 

His most memorable contribution for me was when we won away at Nottingham Forest with ten men. I was at the game, but as I often do, I had the radio commentary on. 

It's no secret that his biggest love was Shrewsbury Town. I recall a few seasons ago when he had a free night. He was supporting The Shrews at their away game in Lincoln. I live in Lincoln and my brother has a season ticket at Sincil Bank. 

I exchanged a few messages with him as he settled in to watch his team. I was tempted to go say hello, but thought that Colin deserved his night off away from moaning Derby fans. 

Shrewsbury thrashed Lincoln that night! By the evidence of his message when the final whistle blew, he was absolutely delighted. 

Colin also took Derby to his heart. The last time I actually saw him was at Wembley last season. As I sat in the coach awaiting our drive back to Derby, I saw Colin walking away from the stadium with a couple of his mates. He looked dejected like all of Derby's fans. 

It was known by the public at that time that he was fighting skin cancer. The site of Colin walking away kind of reminded me that we had lost a football match and there was a young man with a far more important fight on his hands. 

He fought his illness with such bravery and courage. He often put it to one side to carry on his media work. A few weeks ago he presented Sportscene whilst Ed Dawes was away. 

Alas he passed away this morning but not before he raised thousands of pounds for his melonoma appeal. The Shrews also got promoted today! I'm sure many Rams fans will keep one eye on them thinking of Colin. 

God Bless Bloomers! One of the good guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment